Emerging Security Challenges Division
Science for Peace and Security Programme
Multi-Year Project Progress Report
NATO SPS Project 984595
"Protection of Underground Structures from Fuel Cloud Explosion"
The goal of the project is to develop system for the protection of humans and infrastructure from fuel cloud explosion. Development stages includes: a) determination of internal and external design parameters; b) elaboration of design and technological regalement for production; c) Production of prototype of working device; d) testing of device in underground tunnels (real-time conditions). The minimization of the blast effect can be achieved by ensuring the operation of the protective facility before the penetration of the fuel cloud in the tunnel. After activation, the protective system will create a liquid barrier (from dispersed water or mixture with other liquid and/or ultra disperse solid particles), which will exclude the possibility of extension of the aerosol (fuel cloud) in tunnel and simultaneously decrease up to minimum the detonation capability of the fuel could (due to the mixing with barrier liquid the fuel cloud composition will be changed).
The proposed Explosion Suppression System will be composed of:
i) Wireless device for the detection of explosions and activation of a protective system simultaneously with the explosion of the first charge;
ii) Absorber ensuring the discharge of dispersed water before the second detonator/charge explodes the fuel cloud.
- Based on the theoretical calculations and computer modelling the value of dynamic pressure developed by fuel cloud explosion on the metallic barriers for different geometrical shape and fuel cloud compositions were estimated;
- The technical requirements on the test bench for experimental investigations of fuel cloud explosion were established and the outline drawing for development of engineering design were prepared.
- The new design of shock wave absorber was developed and testing
- Thetest bench was fabricated and preliminary experimental studies of processes of explosion of a cloud of fuelwere conducted.
- The technical specification for development of blast wireless detectorand wireless activation block of explosion suppression system were established.
Results of preliminary research were presented at 3 international conferences and full papers published in International Journals.